Monday, September 26, 2011

Face the Future with Faith and More Than Conquerors

Elder Nelson is such a fun speaker to listen to, so happy! And always has a story that the kids can relate to and love to listen to.

Elder Nelson speaks on faith, and it was a great talk to go over in FHE. He espcecially taught the parents what they should teach their own children. All week we looked up scriptures on faith and shared them each night. The kids did a great job with this one and I am fairly confident they have been taught well on this subject. I hope they can rely on this foundation and create stronger testimonies.

"We live in a time of turmoil... We have great cause for concern. But we do not need to let our fears displace our faith. We can combat those fears by strengthening our faith. Start with your children. You parents bear the primary responsibility to strengthen their faith. Let them feel your faith, even when sore trials come upon you. Let your faith be focused on our loving Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Teach that faith with deep conviction. Teach each precious boy or girl that he or she is a child of God, created in His image, with a sacred purpose and potential. Each is born with challenges to overcome and faith to be developed."







Elder Johnson's talk is a good one. I take great comfort in talks given on trials and overcoming adversity. He quotes Elder Orson F Whitney,

"No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted...All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable...It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire."




6 comments:

  1. I love the song that the Mormon Tabernacle sings "With Faith in Every Footstep" For each day that we " give all our heart and mind and strength unto Him" , we are relying on our faith in Jesus Christ and His promise to help us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the poem "The Monument" by Blaine Jorgensen. It gives me comfort to know that whatever trials I have are a gift from my Heavenly Father, who knows me and loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our beloved President Thomas S. Monson has given us his prophetic witness. He said: “I testify to you that our promised blessings are beyond measure. Though the storm clouds may gather, though the rains may pour down upon us, our knowledge of the gospel and our love of our Heavenly Father and of our Savior will comfort and sustain us and bring joy to our hearts as we walk uprightly and keep the commandments.”

    It really is that simple! D gets mad at me because i dont watch the news and rarely know whats going on in the world? I wonder if it's being naive or just taking great comfort in this promise during difficult times that I don't find the need to be constantly reminded of how much evil there is around me? I have faith that by simple keeping the commandments and doing my best my family will be protected. Those simple blessings are priceless to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister Matsumori, counselor in the General Primary Presidency (she is now serving with her husband the Mission President in our area) in April 2007 Ensign stated: " As first generation members, you are the ones who begin the cycle of teaching and strengthening the next generation." I have learned from so many speakers that my role as mother never ends it only continues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The greatest help we will have in strengthening families is to know and follow the doctrines of Christ and rely on Him to help us." Barbara Thompson Oct. 2007 When Adam was preparing for his mission, he was trying to get all the interviews done to enter the MTC the same time his friend Matt did. Unfortunately interview after interview was cancelled and he was beginning to despair. One cancellation happened as I was getting ready for work and I could see the frustration on his face as he stood staring out the window. Silently I prayed to know how to help my son. The impression came to sit with him. What would I say? The impression came again to sit with him and the words would come. I went and sat with him, telling him how much we loved him. I paused waiting and then the words came. The Lord knew of the desires of his heart, He was pleased that he wanted to serve a mission. The Lord also knew of the talents and dedication that he possessed and that there was a particular time that He needed him. All would happen in due time, to have faith, for this was His work. The time and situations were being prepared. That day I knew for certainty that the Lord hears and answers our prayers, that He knows us individually and that sometimes He uses others to answer our prayers. This time was through a mother frantically praying for her son; but I had to do my part, by listening to the Spirit. I had no idea what to say before I sat beside my son, but I trusted the Lord did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elder Robert D Hales sad:"strengthening families is our sacred duty. As parents, children, extended family members, leaders, teachers, and individual members." He didn't leave anyone out!

    ReplyDelete