Monday, September 19, 2011

Guided by the Holy Spirit and An Ensign to the Nations

I love Pres Packer. He is so unapologetic and says it like it is no matter what the backlash.

Grandma sent us a book on William Tyndale and it is amazing the feat of translating the Bible into the English language. There are no simple translations so he had to come up with many of the phrases and words we find and love in the Bible.

William Tyndale was hounded from place to place because the English clergy didn't want him to make the Bible available to the masses.
"If God spare my life, ere many years I will cause a boy that driveth the plough shall know more of the Scripture than thou".


Pres Packer goes on to talk about our scriptures and what we learn, especially about revelation- personal revelation, and latter-day revelation- and about the Holy Ghost. This was a good lesson for our kids.

Chris had a question about the Apostles that didn't recognize the Savior when he appeared to them (after his resurrection). Because the Apostles didn't have the Holy Ghost they didn't recognize Christ when we came to them.







We love Elder Holland. While living in Turkey, we were privileged to be part of a district conference in which Elder and Sister Holland conducted in Istanbul, Turkey. At the conference were upwards of 20-30 Ethiopian investigators. Elder and Sister Holland had just finished touring the continent of Africa and was able to report to these people of the growth of the church in Africa and in their country. He spoke of Pres Hinckley's words to "bring all your truth and we will add to it". He turned this conference into a missionary fireside. He spoke of Mohammed- how he was a prophet to guide his people away from idolatry. He said bring those "truths" (that have not been polluted over time and by evil men).

Afterward was a time for the branches leadership to meet with him. I will never forget when we filed out of the room, how he put his arms around my shoulder and looked right at me and said, "You are doing a great job. We love you!" and he took my children in his arms and kissed them on their heads. What a memory we wil always hold of this special-to-our-family Apostle of the Lord.



"... if you are trying to do the best you can—if, for example, you keep trying to hold family home evening in spite of the bedlam that sometimes reigns in a houseful of little bedlamites—then give yourself high marks and, when we come to that subject, listen for another which addresses a topic where you may be lacking. If we teach by the Spirit and you listen by the Spirit, some one of us will touch on your circumstance, sending a personal prophetic epistle just to you."

2 comments:

  1. I have always been grateful to all the work our Conference speakers go through for our behalf and I have never been disappointed, but I have learned another blessing that I need to be grateful for. I read the article in the Church News for March 25, 2011 entitled "Behind the scenes of General Conference" It is a very interesting article and I highly recommend it. "There is planning so this experience is not one that detracts from the spirit of Conference...we're trying to make it something that will touch people's heart and bring them unto Christ" Thomas Smith I have watched the men in our Stake and wards valiantly serving to make this statement true. All this technology is so foreign to me and I am grateful for their service on my behalf and grateful for the blessings of this technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The message from President Uchtdorf this month in the Sept. issue of the ensign was in touch with our readings. I'm really getting excited for Conference. I have never gone away empty from a conference, there has always been so much to learn, more than I can usually reap, so I'm am grateful for the written word, that we can go back and study.

    ReplyDelete