Monday, November 21, 2011

Work of Welfare and the Lord's Richest Blessings

I listened recently to a conversation of Bishop Burton and came to know him a little better. He is a great man. And I appreciated this talk on Welfare. I probably could do more to further this area of the gospel. I get so caught up in the day to day struggles of our children that I don't take time to look outside the home. Being in YW is helping. But I should do a better job.

The purpose, promises, and principles that reinforce our work of caring for the poor and needy extend far beyond the bounds of mortality. This sacred work is not only to benefit and bless those who suffer or are in need. As sons and daughters of God, we cannot inherit the full measure of eternal life without being fully invested in caring for each other while we are here on earth. It is in the benevolent practice of sacrifice and giving of ourselves to others that we learn the celestial principles of sacrifice and consecration.





Part of assisting in the Welfare of the Church is paying our tithing. I think this must have been taught fairly regularly and with great example in my early life because this law has never been a struggle for me. I've always know that the Lord would take care of those who paid their tithing. He has definitely taken care of our family as we've paid our tithing and continue to follow the counsel to stay out of debt. Elder Pratt shared a story from his family that I loved!

We learn ...that tithing is not a matter of money, really; it is a matter of faith—faith in the Lord. He promises blessings if we obey His commandments... Let us show our faith in the Lord by paying our tithing. Pay it first; pay it honestly. Teach our children to pay tithing even on their allowance or other income, and then take them with us to tithing settlement so they know of our example and our love for the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment