Monday, January 2, 2012

Doing the Right Thing, At the Right Time, Without Delay

Our 8 year old gave this lesson in FHE a few weeks back and he did a fabulous job! I loved this talk because it was all about looking for ways to serve without making it into a big project or forming another big committee.
"...it is not necessary to create new programs or take actions which are complicated and costly. They only need our determination to serve- to do the right thing at the right time, without delay."


I loved his quote from Pres Monson, "The Lord expects our thinking. He expects our action. He expects our testimonies. He expects our devotion."

I was asked to serve on a Ward Compassionate Service Committee. There are about 16 of us, but things are so crazy! We're the only one that are called on to make meals, which is hard for me because I work off a menu and when I go shopping I only buy groceries that are on the menu. Our budget is really tight. When we moved here last summer we lost nearly $2000 a month so we've had to cut back on our wants and focus more on our needs.
I had a hard time accepting email requests for meals and couldn't understand why they couldn't ask other RS members to help out- knowing they are in much better circumstances than we are. But I finally made it a goal to do better. I've tried to add an easy meal to my menu each month. And it's not been as hard as I thought it would be. And I take the kids with me when we go drop off meals and it is a great teaching tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment