Monday, January 23, 2012

The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn

This is a topic so very close to our family's hearts. We love doing Family History. We now have two kids who can help us by doing baptisms for our ancestors and they have committed to go at least once a month to do our own family names. That means my husband and I have to really search out for names they can take. It was easy in the beginning of our marriage. My husband is a convert and he had all of his ancestors to gather together. Now after 17 years of searching we are finding less and less the further we go back, which is a great thing! But what can we do to ensure that our children enjoy the Spirit of Elijah? We've introduced our oldest to Indexing and when he has time (which is rare now that he's in high school) he loves to help in this endeavor.

But how can I use this talk in my own life? I can more diligently use my time to do more indexing and more searching of family names. I can go back in each family and find them in the census records and make sure all the children have been recorded. A lot of times we simply focus on the direct ancestors and not their brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles.

I'm going to use this talk in a Beehive activity later in the year to get my Beehives interested in indexing and searching out their family names.



1 comment:

  1. There was an interesting article in the Church News 11 January 2012. It discusses various ways youth can be involved in family history. One youth made an interesting conclusion. " I hyave often wondered why Heavenly Father sent me to earth at this time. " Here is one of the answers, to be involved in family history work. To which one of us does that not imply?

    ReplyDelete